We are hiring – Commercial Insurance Account Handler
Keep your home secure this summer
The promise of a sunny day brings with it a high state of excitement and relaxation in a country where the summer months don’t come with a guarantee of hot weather. Dusty barbeques are dragged out of sheds, picnics are back, and windows and doors are thrown open to welcome the summer breeze. Therein lies the security problem, and the perfect opportunity for thieves. Even if you don’t forget to close a window at night, bolder criminals might even take advantage of easy access to your valuables in broad daylight.
North Yorkshire Police offer the following advice to avoid a theft in warmer weather:
- Keep the front and back doors locked and windows closed as much as
possible, also on cars.
- If windows are open, keep them on the latch so that they cannot be
opened further from outside.
- Keep valuables and keys out of sight and well away from front or back
doors where they may be easily reached.
- Keep side gates locked.
- Put away garden tools, ladders etc. after use so they cannot be used
to gain access.
- Use a strong lock on sheds, garages and other outbuildings and bolt
hinges on for additional security.
- Consider fitting outdoor security lighting.
- Keep an eye on neighbouring properties.
- If you see anything suspicious contact police on 101.
Remember that if you are a victim of theft but there is no sign of break-in as the thief has gained access through an open window, you may be unable to claim. Check your home insurance policy details for more information.